Friday, April 22, 2011

I judged before I knew and boy was I wrong!



I flew out to Boston one fucking cold weekend in December and this was the first time I had see Matt Embree in person. He seemed drunk and what he did on stage at the Chad and Friends benefit show left me with a confused and bewildered feeling. SO when I heard Matt would be joining State Radio on their spring tour I was very trepidations. I mean this is a band I have known and loved for 5 years now, this is band I have seen over 20 time...some of the people in/associated with my band have become good friends of mine...why the fuck did they decided to bring this new kid on for a tour? And more than that, why did they bring this particular weirdo??

I AM SO SORRY EMBREE. Fuck I stuck my foot in my mouth ( though I didn't really verbalize my feeling, I feel like ass now) and I was totally wrong. Matt Embree,lead vocals and guitar for RX Bandits...you are now super duper cool in my book. If you didn't get a chance to see Matt Embree with State Radio, dude I feel super sorry for you. Embree definitely made everyone pick up their game:Chad, Chuck, and Michael. ESPECIALLY Chuck Fey, which was truly incredible to see. Not only that, but this guy is an upstanding individual. I first got a chance to actually meet him before the Denver show (1st night of tour for Matt and kick off to the tour for State) when my friend Mark and Mike dragged me onto the tour bus ( please let it be known I actually was walking away from the bus because I feel weird going on, it's someones home!) and Embree was sitting on the couch and started asking me "Denver" question: "Where is the Great Divide Brewery, can we walk there?" and "Where is Watercourse, it is the best vegetarian food I have ever eaten!" to which I responded, "2 blocks away "and Matt said " Who loves Denver, this guys (points to self!)!" Later that night after the show a bunch of people went out for beers and I got a chance to really talk to Embree, he is so nice and sweet....just a really good guy! If you watch the video above, around 3:40 State Radio's drummer starts doing a little jam for Matt, when we talked he said he hadn't been that embarrassed since he was in 8th grade...he is humble and well spoken.

To say this guy is musically talented would be an understatement, his guitar skills are ridiculous. He does thing that make my mouth drop and I loved having him join the group for the "State of Troy Tour"/

Next I saw him in Aspen, as soon as he saw me he gave me a hug and thanked me for driving to come see them again...really? How sweet is that? He complimented my friend Brittney on her amazing scarf and stood and chatted for a bit.

Finally I saw him at the Santa Cruz show. I was back by the tour bus with Jody and he came out, saw me and said "What are you doing here?!" my response was " I don't really know what to say to that ::pause pause pause:: because I am awesome??" and he said " I like that, I like that answera lot...because you are awesome, and its true!!"---really could this guy be nicer.

I would be happy if Matt became a perminate member of State Radio, really I would be. I believe he makes the other guys step up play better and he adds something totally amazing.

So my apologies go out to Matt Embree and his amazing wiggly, body gyration, on stage dancing goodness! If you live in the New England Area and are not going to Bamboozle, you are just silly--State Radio & RX Bandits ( this is their last tour EVER!)...DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment