Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Leave me here in my star craving, sick, sad, little world.

BE PREPARED I AM ABOUT TO GEEK OUT ON YOU!

A fun fact to know and tell about Ashley Lauren is that nothing stays in my life long (or at least it didn't till college/Denver). I would get bored with clothes, friends, boys, hair color, fashions, and music! The two music groups that made it through my adolescents untouched were No Doubt and Incubus.

I have seen both of these groups live and I feel bad saying it but...No Doubt was not very good. Incubus, however, was fantastic and incredible rolled in perfection sprinkled with utter amazement! I have seen them 4 times and on each occasion I walk away being very impressed.

The first time I heard incubus was in 1998. I was on a retreat for my school and one of the leaders played Incubus to start off his speech. At that moment I knew I need to find out more about this band. I did some research and bought my first three Incubus Cd's- Fungus Amongus, Enjoy Incubus, & S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Fungus was released in 1995, Enjoy in 1997, and finally S.C.I.E.N.C.E. 1998. Around the release of S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Incubus got their new DJ, Chris Kilmore. Let me say Fungus and Enjoy are very, very, very different than anything most people think of when they think of Incubus...they are "harder" and Boyd screams a lot! I love it, but I don't think many people know much their music has evolved.



In S.C.I.E.N.C.E. the band definitely still rocked :


Incubus - A Certain Shade Of Green by Mike_T2007
But on "Summer Romance" you can see the change that is coming-

Incubus - Summer Romance by val6210

The band finally became popular in 1999 with the release of their album Make Yourself . This album produced such hits as: "Stellar, Drive, and Pardon Me".

"Stellar"- I think I am in love with Boyd's red ink and his fashion sense.


"Drive"- I think this video is incredible...and Body with the fucking hotness.


"Pardon Me"- please check out the abs and the white boxers.


My favorite song off this disc is "I Miss You". This is largely due to the fact I was 15 when this came out and I was sucker for romance


Morning View quickly followed in 2001. And this was the first year I saw Incubus. This is album is ridiculous in all its majesty. The hits from this album were "Nice to know you, Warning, and Wish You Were Here."

I find the "Warning" video to be beautiful (we can talk about how amazing he is dressed later)-


My favorite songs on this disc are "Echo" and "Aqueous Transmission"-

"Echo"- for some reason reminds me of Willie Wonka...amazingly gorgeous.

Janet and I used to listen to "Aqueous Transmission" in the dorm room and try to sleep...this song is something spectacular.


I saw them two more times between 2001 and 2003...and was mind fucked each time. The only issue I have with Incubus live...same set, each, and every night!

The last time I saw them was in 2003, they had just released A Crow Left of the Murder and Ben Kenny (originally in The Roots) had just replaced Dirk Lance. I wasn’t a huge fan of this album at first, after listening to it 10,000 times it grew on me. Mike Einziger described the album as "like the old shit, but older. It's very different. It's very energetic and fast, and a lot of it is more technical. I guess maybe in the vein of more of our older songs; they don't sound like our older songs. They are more exploratory." The best thing about this album and tour was they came out with a live DVD called "Alive at Red Rocks", the song below is from Morning View but that is Red Rocks Amphitheater...it's the best venue EVER!


After Crow Incubus came out with Light Grenades, again not a HUGE fan of this CD. But I can't find it within me to hate anything Incubus does.



Next they came out with their greatest hits CD "Monuments and Melodies"-

Which brought this jem?


After the band went on hiatus, Brandon Boyd released his first solo album "The Wild Trapeze" which I really, really enjoy!

"Runaway" - this kid has more talent in his pinky than I have in my whole body.



Brandon and Mike both went back to school during the hiatus, Jose (drummer) had a baby....but it’s officially over fans!


The new disc- If Not Now, When? is scheduled to drop on July 12, 2011....and the first single was released on the website yesterday.

Adolescents by incubus

I have been a fan for years and I can't wait for this disc. I actually really like the first single. A few reasons I love Incubus (and you can see a trend in music I love) #1- the band has their own non-profit "The Make Yourself Foundation" #2- They help get people the register to vote at their shows #3- Yes I think Brandon Boys is beautiful but he is also ridiculously talented (Check out the book "White Fluffy Clouds") #4- they put on an amazing live show and are totally worth checking out!


And because I love this song and Boyd is ...well he is!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, girl. I just love them and can't help but think of blasting Morning View in the dorms. I think we would fall asleep to that cd the most, and ocean and dolphin soundtracks the second most. LOL that just cracks me up. Also, Are You In? is totally one of my most favorite upbeat songs still. Love!

    ReplyDelete